A Brief Dictionary of New Age Terminology
Edited by Pastor David L. Brown, Ph.D.
Investigative Researcher with Logos Communication
The average Christian has little idea what the concepts and ideals of the New Age
really are. Then when they encounter New Age vocabulary confusion really sets in. New
Agers often play semantic word games, using the same words Christians do yet the
definitions use bear no resemblance to the Christian definitions. This brief dictionary is
designed to help you understand New Age terminology as they define their terms.
David L. Brown
Key to the letters following each word:
| N - New Age | O - Occult | S - Satanic | H - Hindu | M -
Mysticism | W - Wicca of Witchcraft |
Age of Aquarius - N
- Astrologers believe that evolution goes through cycles corresponding to the signs of the
zodiac, each lasting from 2,000 to 2,400 years. New Age advocates say we are now moving
from the cycle associated with Pisces into the one associated with Aquarius. The Acquarian
Age will supposedly be characterized by a heightened degree of spiritual or cosmic
- Agent - N
- A person sending a telepathic message.
- Akashic Record - N
- Imperishable records of every person's every word, thought or act inscribed in the earth
or spirit realms .
- Alpha - N
- The physical body.
- Animism - N
- The belief that inanimate things (such as plants) possess a soul or spirit. New Age
advocates see animism as a way of rededicating the earth.
- Anthroposophy - N
- An esoteric cult founded by German mystic Rudolf Steiner. The term literally means
"wisdom of man." It teaches that we possess the truth within ourselves. The
system of thought is occultic and spiritistic.
- Ascended Masters - N
- Refers to those who have supposedly reached the highest level of spiritual consciousness
and have become guides of the spiritual evolution of mankind.
- Ascension of Christ - N
- This is reinterpreted in a mystical way to refer to the rise of the
"Christ-consciousness" in man-kind. It describes the awareness that man is
- Astral Body - N
- A spiritual body capable of projection from the physical body. The astral body survives
- Astral Flight - N
- Soul travel occurring particularly during sleep or deep meditation.
- Attunement - N
- A New Age counterpart to prayer. Also re-ferred to as at-one-ment, the term relates
primarily to the New Age idea that complete oneness with God can be experienced by human
- Aura - N
- Radiated glow or halo surrounding living beings.
- Automatic Writing
- Writing produced without conscious thought of a living person; written message given
through a spirit guide with a pencil or typewriter.
- Avatar - N
- A person who "descends" into human form from above as a manifestation of
divinity and who reveals divine truth to people. Such a one has supposedly progressed
beyond the need to be reincarnated in another body (i.e., there is no further "bad
karma" to work off).
- Bhagavad Gita - H
- Hindu sacred scripture.
- Blood of Christ - N
- This is understood by some New Agers to refer to the "life-energy" of the
Cosmic Christ. This "blood" supposedly flowed from the cross into the etheric
(or spiritual) realms of the earth. From these realms, the Christ seeks to guide the
spiritual evolution of mankind.
- Bodhisattva - N,H
- A being who has supposedly earned the right to enter into Nirvana or into illumination,
but instead voluntarily turns back from that state in order to aid humanity in attaining
the same goal. The Christ is said to be a Bodhisattva.
- Buddha - N
- "The Enlightened One." An avatar or messenger.
- Caballa - M
- See Kabala
- Channeling - N
- A New Age form of mediumship or spiritism. The channeled yields control of his/her
perceptual and cognitive capacities to a spiritual entity with the intent of receiving
- Chinook Learning Community - N
- A New Age educational community located in the Pacific Northwest. This group sponsors
both long and short-term educational programs on personal and social transformation, New
Age spirituality, and how to live with an ecological perspective.
- Clairaudience - N,O
- Ability to hear mentally without using the ears.
- Clairvoyance - N,O
- Ability to see mentally without using the eyes, beyond ordinary time and space limits;
also called "Second Sight."
- Consciousness Revolution - N
- New Age advocates call for a "consciousness revolution" a new way of looking
at and experiencing life. The primary focus of the new consciousness is oneness with God,
all mankind, the earth, and with the entire universe.
- Control - N
- The Spirit that sends messages through a medium in trance.
- Cosmic Christ - N
- In esoteric schools of thought, the Christ is considered to be a universal spirit or a
cosmic force. The primary goal of this impersonal spirit or force is to guide the
spiritual evolution of mankind.
- Cosmic Consciousness - N
- A spiritual and mystical perception that all in the universe is "one." To
attain cosmic con-sciousness is to see the universe as God and God as the universe.
- Cosmic Humanism - N
- In contrast to normative humanism that sees man as the measure of all things, cosmic
humanism sees man as having virtually unlimited potential because of his inner divinity.
- Crystals - N
- New Age advocates believe that crystals contain incredible healing and energizing
powers. Crystals are often touted as being able to restore the "how of energy"
in the human body.
- Deja Vu - N
- The feeling of having already experienced an event or place that is being encountered
for the very first time .
- Discarnate - N
- The soul or personality of a living creature who has died.
- Dowser - N,O
- A sensitive who uses a forked stick that points to hidden water, oil, buried money, lost
articles, or people.
- Earth Logos - N
- Some New Age advocates believe that the Earth Logos is a great spiritual being who is
the ensouling life of planet earth. The earth is considered a physical manifestation (or
body) of this spiritual intelligence.
- Ectoplasm - N,O
- A white filmy substance pouring from a medium's bodily openings, supposedly denoting the
presence of a disembodied spirit.
- Esalen Institute - N
- A "growth center" that offers a wide variety of workshops for mind, body, and
spirit. It is located in Big Sur, California.
- Esoteric - N
- A word used to describe knowledge that is possessed or understood only by a few.
- Esoteric Christianity - N
- A mystical form of Christianity that sees its "corn truth" as identical to the
"core truth" of every other religion (i.e., man is divine). This form of
Christianity is at home with Aldous Huxley's "perennial philosophy." (See:
- ESP - N,O
- Extrasensory perception encompassing paranormal abilities such as telepathy,
precognition, and clairvoyance.
- ESP Cards - N
- A pack of twenty-five cards bearing five symbols, including stars, squares, circles,
crosses, and waves.
- Exoteric Christianity - N
- A form of Christianity identified with historic or orthodox Christianity that New Agers
would describe as being devoid of all spiritual authenticity;
- Fall of Man - N
- Refers to the fall of man's consciousness. A fallen consciousness is one that recognizes
the existence of only the material realm. The Christ is believed to have
"redeemed" man in the sense that he enabled man to perceive the spiritual world
behind the material world.
- Findhorn Community - N
- A legendary New Age community located in the North of Scotland. This group offers an
ongoing educational program in the principles of New ge spirituality.
- Gaia - N
- A Greek name for the goddess of the earth. It also refers to a scientific hypothesis
formulated by James Lovelock whereby all living matter on the earth is believed to be a
single living organism. In such a scheme, humanity is considered the nervous system of the
- Globalism - N
- A modern-day term referring to the need for a transformation from the present
nation-state divisions into a one-world community.
- Gnosticism - N
- A tradition going back to the second century which holds that salvation comes through
intuitive "gnosis" or knowledge of one's supposed divinity.
- God - N
- A being who has "many faces." He (it) is considered a radically immanent being
who is often referred to as a "universal consciousness," "universal
life," or "universal energy." The New Age god is more or less an impersonal
force that pervades the universe.
- Graphology - N
- Character analysis and foretelling based on handwriting.
- Great Invocation - N
- A New Age prayer that has been translated into over eighty languages. The purpose of
this prayer is to invoke the presence of the Cosmic Christ on earth, thus leading to the
oneness and brotherhood of all mankind.
- Group Guru - N
- A slang New Age term referring to the idea that the Cosmic Christ is incarnate in all of
humanity. All mankind is seen as a single "guru."
- Guru - N
- Teacher or master.
- Harmonic Convergence - N
- The assembly of New Age meditators gathered at the same propitious astrological time in
different locations to usher in peace on earth and one-world government.
- Holism - N
- The theory that all reality is organically one. Everything in the universe is viewed as
interrelated and interdependent.
- Holistic Health - N
- Holistic health sees the body as an inter-related organism. Its goal is to treat the
whole person (body, mind, and spirit) as opposed to merely treating a particular sickness.
- Hologram - N
- A three-dimensional projection resulting from the interaction of laser beams. Scientists
have discovered that the image of an entire hologram can be reproduced from any one of its
many component parts. New Agers use this to illustrate the oneness of all reality.
- Homeopathy - N
- A system of medicine rooted in occult ideas that was developed by Samuel
claims to manipulate the "vital force" of the human body by transferring the
power of homeopathic medicines that have been potentiazed by a process of dilutions and
succession (vigorous shaking with impact).
- Human Potential Movement - N
- A movement with roots in humanistic psychology that stresses man's essential goodness
and unlimited potential.
- Initiation - O
- This occult term is generally used in reference to the expansion or transformation of a
person's consciousness. An "initiate" is one whose consciousness has been
transformed so that he now perceives inner realities. There are varying
"degrees" of initiation (i.e., "first degree initiates,"
"second-degree initiates," etc.).
- Inner Self or Higher Self - N
- Refers to the inner divine nature possessed by human beings. All people are said to
possess an inner self, though not all are aware of it.
- Interdependence or Interconnectedness
- These words are used by New Agers to describe the oneness and essential unity of
everything in the universe. All of reality is viewed as interdependent and interconnected.
- Jesus - N
- An avatar who attained a high level of attunement to the Cosmic Christ. This enabled him
to become a bodily vehicle for the Christ for a period of three years. (See: Avatar)
- Kabala (Caballa, Qaballah) - M,O
- Hebrew mystery lore based on mystical interpretation of the Bible; magical, occult
practices stemming largely from the Middle Ages.
- Karma - H,N
- Refers to the "debt" accumulated against a soul as a result of good or bad
actions committed during one's life (or lives). If one accumulates good karma, he will
supposedly be reincarnated in a desirable state. If one accumulates bad karma, he will be
reincarnated in a less desirable state.
- Kirlian Photography - N
- A photographic process that measures living auras.
- Kundalini - N
- The elemental energy of the human body which, like a serpent, rests coiled at the base
of the spine.
- Levitation - O
- Raising of objects or people off the ground without using physical energy.
- Lucis Trust
- Originally incorporated as the Lucifer Publishing Company, the Lucis Trust oversees the
Lucis Publishing Company, World Goodwill, and Arcane School. Lucis Trust owns all the
copyrights of the Alice Bailey books. Magic Circle Ring drawn by occultists to protect
them from the spirits and demons they call up by incantations and rituals.
- The name has its roots in a legendary Buddha figure. Some New Age advocates believe that
the "second coming of Christ" occurred in 1977 in the person of
- A design, usually concentric, that focuses attention to a single point.
- A word or phrase that is to be chanted repetitively in an effort to empty the mind and
attain "cosmic con-sciousness" (oneness with God and the universe).
- Mass Incarnation
- An incarnation of the Christ in all of humanity. New Age advocates say that this
incarnation is presently taking place on a planetary scale, and is not unlike the
incarnation of the Cosmic Christ in the body of Jesus 2,000 years ago.
- A psychic or sensitive living person whose body is used as a vehicle for communicating
- The science of the supernatural.
- A metaphysical theory that sees all of reality as a unified whole. Everything in the
universe is seen as being made of the same stuff.
- An informal, decentralized organization created by like-minded individuals who are
interested in address-ing specific problems and offering possible solutions. All of this
takes place outside of conventional institutions.
- New Age Movement
- A loose organization of people, many of them "Yuppies," who believe the world
has entered the Aquarian Age when peace on earth and one-world gov-ernment will rule. They
see themselves as advanced in consciousness, rejecting Judeo-Christian values and the
Bible in favor of Oriental philosophies and religion. Among them may be found
environmentalists, nuclear-freeze proponents, Marxist-socialist utopians,
advocates, ESP cultists, spiritists, witchcraft practitioners, and others using magical
- Liberation from earthly things; paradise.
- The analysis of hidden or prophetic meanings of numbers.
- Belief in supernational forces and beings.
- A word symbolizing Brahma, the Creator God.
- One Worlders
- Those who advocate the abolition of nations, working to hand over power to a
single-world government similar in structure to the present United Nations; off-shoots of
the United World Federalists founded in the 1930s.
- Ouiji Board
- Came board containing all the letters of the alphabet plus numbers from 0 to 9 and
"Yes/No." A slid-ing pointer (planchette) spells out words in answer to
questions asked by players.
- Out-of-Body Experience
- Leaving the physical body while at rest, asleep, near death, or temporarily dead.
- Doctrine that identifies God with the whole uni-verse, every particle, tree, table,
animal, and person being part of Him.
- Paradigm Shift
- Refers to a shift in world views. The so-called "new paradigm" (new model
orform) is pantheistic (all is God) and monastic (all is one).
- Beyond or above normal human powers or senses.
- Study of psychic phenomena using scien-tific methods.
- Heavy object on a string, used for dowsing or fortune telling.
- Five-pointed star used in magical ceremonies. A satanic symbol.
- Person who receives telepathic messages.
- Perennial Philosophy
- A term coined by Aldous Huxley that sees all religious truth or experience as one and
the same. This philosophy proposes that even though the ex-ternals of the various
religions may differ, the essence or core truth is the same in each.
- Plan, The
- A phrase that occurs often in the writings of Alice Bailey. It refers to specific
preparations in the world for a New Age and a New Age Christ. These preparations are
carried out by the "Masters of the Hierarchy," a group of exalted beings who
supposedly guide the spiritual ev-olution of people on earth. Though this teaching of the
Plan does actually exist, the term has been sensationalized by some Christian writers.
These writers have mistakenly hypothesized that New Agers are completely unified in a
"behind-the-scenes manipulation" of world events in or-der to conquer the world
for its true god, Lucifer.
- Planetary Citizens
- A New Age activist group committed to engendering a "planetary consciousness"
among both New Agers and the general public.
- New Age advocates believe that the various threats facing the human race require a
global solution. This solution is "planetization." The word refers to the
unifying of the world into a corporate brotherhood.
- German word for a noisy, mischievous, destructive spirit (a demon).
- Advance knowledge of future events.
- Term used in place of psychic or paraphysical; ESP.
- Psychic Birth
- A quickening of spiritual or cosmic consciousness and power. This new consciousness is
one that recognizes oneness with God and the universe. Psychic birth is an occult
counterpart to the Christian new birth.
- Psychic Energy
- Extrasensory energy that enables people to do miracles.
- Psychic Healer
- A person who cures mental or physical ill-ness from the cosmic energy emanating through
the healer's hands.
- Tracing mental and physical ills back to hurtful childhood experiences; based on Sigmund
- Reading information from an object about events involving the person who owns it,
usually by handling it.
- Refers to the various approaches or systems aimed at deliberately altering one's
- See Kabala
- Refers to the cyclical evolution of a person's soul as it repeatedly passes from one
body to another at death. This process continues until the soul reaches a state of
- Knowledge of past events learned paranormally.
- Right Brain Learning
- The right hemisphere of the brain is believed to be the center of intuitive and creative
thought (as opposed to the rational nature of the left hemisphere). New Agers have seized
on this as a justification to bring "right brain learning techniques" into the
classroom. These techniques include meditation, yoga, and guided imagery.
- A gathering of people seeking communication with deceased loved ones or famous
historical figures through a medium.
- Second Coming of Christ
- Understood by some as the coming of the Cosmic Christ in all of humanity, related to the
New age concept of the "mass incarnation." The Second Coming is supposedly now
occurring in the hearts and minds of people all over the earth. Others associate it
specifically with the appearance of Maitreya as the avatar of this age.
- New Agers use this as a synonym for God-realization. It refers to a personal recognition
of one's divinity.
- A person who frequently demonstrates extrasen-sory gifts such as clairvoyance,
telepathy, or precognition.
- A medicine man/woman or witch doctor.
- Solar Logos
- Believed by some to be a mighty spiritual being who is the ensouling life of the solar
system. The material solar system is simply a physical manifestation (or body) of this
- Spirit Control
- A disembodied spirit who relays messages from dead people to the living through a trance
- Spirit Guide
- A spiritual entity who provides information of "guidance," often through a
medium or channeled. The spirit provides guidance only after the channeled relinquishes
his perceptual and cognitive capacities into its control.
- Spiritual Hierarchy of Masters
- New Age advocates believe these spiritual "masters" are highly evolved men
who, having already perfected themselves, are now guiding the rest of humanity to this
- Spiritualist or Spiritist
- Person who believes in the ability to contact departed souls through a medium.
- Person used for experiments in ESP studies.
- Persian mystical religion based on Islam.
- The attempt to combine or unify differing religious systems. New Age gurus often claim
that all the world religions teach the same core truth: all people possess an inner
- A principle which states that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- A Chinese religion and philosophy that sees the universe as engaged in ceaseless motion
and activity. All is considered to be in continual flux. The universe is in trinsically
dynamic. This continual cosmic process is called the "Tao" by the Chinese. The
process is described in terms of Yin and Yang. (See: Yin/Yang.)
- Tarot Cards
- Deck of seventy-eight cards that supposedly reveal the secrets of man and the universe.
- The ability to move physical objects by force of will or mental energy alone; also
- Communication between minds by extrasensory means.
- A magic diagram shaped as a four-pointed star.
- A school of thought founded by Helena P. Blavatsky. The term literally means
"divine wisdom." The goals of Theosophy are to (1) form a universal
brother-hood; (2) do comparative study of world religions, science, and philosophy; and,
(3) investigate the psychic and spir- itual powers latent in man. Theosophy is the
forerunner of much New Age thought.
- Third Eye
- An imaginary eye in the forehead believed to be the center of psychic vision. Trance A
mental state resembling sleep during which the conscious mind rests while the spirit
entity takes over the medium's body.
- Trance Channeler
- The newest term for "trance medium." (See: Medium.)
- New Age advocates promote both personal and planetary transformation. Personal
transformation involves the changes wrought in one's life by increasing Self-realization.
As more and more people are personally transformed, the planet too will be transformed
into a global brotherhood.
- Trumpet Medium
- A psychic or sensitive who brings forth "spirit voices" through a trumpet at
- Unidentified flying object; flying saucer.
- Unity-in-Diversity Council
- A New Age "metanetwork" of over 100 networks and groups rallying for global
coop-eration and interdependence.
- The most ancient of the Hindu scriptures.
- Also known as "guided imagery," visualiza-tion basically refers to "mind
over matter." It involves the attempt to bring about change in the material realm by
the power of the mind.
- A wizard or sorcerer; a male witch.
- World Goodwill
- A New Age political lobby that aims to unfold "the Plan" as spelled out in the
writings of Alice Bailey.
- Chinese names referring to the active and passive principles of the universe. Yin refers
to the female or [in-active] negative force; Yang to the male or active force. These two
polar forces continually interplay with each other. The words are used to describe the
constant How of motion and change in the universe (i.e., the "Tao").
- A means of becoming united with the supreme being, or with the universal soul.
- Someone who practices yoga.
- The band of twelve constellations along the plane of the ecliptic through which pass the
sun, moon and planets across the sky. Each constellation, or sign, is attributed symbolic
significance and associations that affect various aspects of life on Earth.